Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Cantaloupe for Two

Cantaloupe for Two, Acrylic on Gessoboard, 6"x6", NFS

30 Paintings in 30 Days Challenge - Day 13

Another stab at the cantaloupe. I think I got the idea of the melon, but the plate with its shadows and edges is a bit harder. Also, I'm not in love with the paint application  - too flat. I obviously have more work to do if I want to be proficient at this sort of painting. Maybe I'll go back in with a palette knife after the challenge is done  - it will be interesting to see what happens if I add texture and lost edges.

This is a melon that grew in my garden. It is actually a volunteer that came up among the types I chose to plant and, amazingly, it tasted really good. Maybe the commercial melons are planted in such large single crop plantings that their seeds actually produce good melons rather than melon-squash-cucumber mixes with tough flesh and no flavor. Anyway, this one was excellent.

No comments: