Monday, March 20, 2017

Goldfinch

Goldfinch, Acrylic on Crescent Board, 10"x10", $150

Experiments...

In this painting I started with the colored abstract background in blue, gold, and orange. The colors put me in mind of an American goldfinch. I used black paint to draw in the bird and then added all of the black patterns. That done, I felt I needed to put in the white bars on the wings and tail and a bit of the white under the tail. Once the white was in , I discovered that my eye went directly to the white spots, so I decided to balance them using a white shape behind the head. Still feeling a bit lop-sided, I added the small white rectangle to the left of the twig. I struggled with the patterns and abstract shapes - it's really hard to decide where and how much to put in to get the effect I want.

If you would like to purchase this painting, please click on the Daily Paintworks icon at right.

No comments: