Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Men......

Oom Daan, Acrylic and collage on watercolor paper, 10"x9", NFS

Report from Camp - Part 2

I started this painting during my workshop with Jean Pederson. As with my last posting, this painting incorporates collage to create decorative elements and interest. I made the collage papers using sticks, stamping maple samsaras and cross-stitching mesh, etc. I cut and glued the collage pieces to fit the drawing I made.Although the collage elements really worked here, I really struggled with the man's head - I had a number of features incorrectly sized and ended up with a portrait that was just - off.

This week I finally got around to fixing all of the incorrectly rendered features and he now looks like a real human being. My post's title refers to the fact that I find men far more difficult to draw and paint than women - I'm not sure why that is but it is quite noticeable to me. As with the previous piece, there were a few collage pieces that ended up being painted over when they failed to work as planned.


No comments: