Thursday, April 28, 2016

Playing with Yupo #2

Untitled Abstract #2, Watercolor and Gouache on Yupo, 26"x20", NFS
Another piece from my workshop with Mark Mehaffey. This piece started out just as busy as the last one, but in this case, I decided to cover most of it up, creating a place to rest the eyes while allowing the boldness of the selected area to stand out. This technique was introduced to us after we had spent several days trying to find some way to tame the chaos we had created in our paintings. It's hard to see in this photo, but I used some watercolor crayons to add calligraphic lines around the large shape and the lower red rectangle. I immediately loved the power that this kind of composition projects - I plan to experiment heavily with this to see how best to use it in my work.

No comments: