Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Day 11 - Mischievous

Mischievous, Acrylic on Gessoed Mat Board, 10"x7"

Day 11 - 30 Paintings in 30 Days Challenge

I struggled with this one. I wanted to get the mischievous expression on her face. This is based on a photo of another of my elderly aunts. They are all long gone, so I figure they won't mind if I learn to paint people's faces using their wonderful expressions. This lady was always up for an adventure and loved to try anything new. One of her favorite thing in her last years was coming to America to visit her sister and sit under the trees watching the wildlife.

I have been using my own home-grown method for painting my faces. It seems to be working for me. I start with a black and white block-in on a colored ground. I then work on adding color and finally refining the shapes. I took a picture of one of the interim steps (shown below) so you could see what I mean.




3 comments:

Unknown said...

Your struggle does not show. She is charming and immediately caught my attention in the sea of entries on the Saeta challenge. I just want to talk to her!

martine paquet said...

I am sure this model has lot of fun ! Love her smiling face!

Chris Lally said...

Immediately loved her mischievous look & I'm sure she would have loved the painting, too!