Sunday, March 29, 2020

Love, Hope, Faith

Love, Hope Faith, Mixed Media on Watercolor paper, 7.5"x7.5", $250

Love, Hope, Faith

This is a painting I did last year. I wasn't painting much, but I did go to a workshop and this piece came from that. The title comes from the words I wrote on the painting - you can just see them along the bottom edge. This was actually part of a much bigger painting (an exercise in using reds) that really didn't work as a whole but provided me with this painting and several good "starts" for later work. I have been reluctant to use a lot of red in a painting - whenever I start in that direction, I hear "If you can't make it good, make it big; if you can't make it big, make it red." in my head. This painting was an effort to get past that mental roadblock.

As we continue to avoid congregating in groups and traveling about, I am exploring concepts, symbols, and personal expression as I seek to grow artistically. I am working to integrate abstraction and representational elements, as a way to make emotional connections with my art.

Note: This painting is currently for sale at ArtHound in Essex Jct., VT. Contact John Churchman at john@arthoundgalleryvt.com to purchase or to inquire about my other paintings.

No comments: