Monday, March 23, 2020

Seeds and the Cycle of Life

Seeds, Charcoal on Paper, 24"x18"

Seeds and the Cycle of Life

I have long been fascinated by seeds and seed pods. I love the shapes of the pods and the fact that they remain after the flowers have died and the leaves have fallen. I have a large vase in my studio that contains stems of seed pods from my gardens and walks along the road and through the woods. There are milkweed, tulip, poppy, day lily, and Siberian iris pods as well as lotus (obviously purchased), and road-side weeds. I composed this drawing on the fly, adding shapes as the spirit moved me. This is another really busy, active composition that I hope will offer a basis for up-coming paintings.

In addition to the basic beauty of seeds and seed pods, I am interested in their symbolism in the cycle of life. They appear as the flower dies, but contain the source of new life in their seeds. So they bridge the old generation and the new. The pods are frequently resilient, weathering storms and pests to protect the seeds until they are ready to emerge and begin a new cycle.



No comments: