Sunday, September 29, 2013

Channeling Van Gogh

Channeling Van Gogh, Graphite on Paper, 24"x18", NFS
I'm posting something a little different today.  After doing mostly small works this year, I've decided to focus on larger pieces for a while.  To get myself up to speed on the larger sizes, I thought I would start out doing some drawings.  They are relatively quick and they are great for working out compostition, values, and shapes. As you can see, the drawing is very loose - I was after the lines and masses, not photographic accuracy.

This drawing is of a vase of sunflowers from the garden.  Taking a page from Van Gogh, I included a few less than perfect specimens in the bunch, let the different blossoms droop if they wanted to, and left a bunch of leaves to break up the many round shapes of the blossoms.  I also took many photos so I can go back and refer to them later after the flowers die.

Note:  My Daily Paintworks Gallery continues to show my small works (click on icon at right.)  My web site (www.annavreman.com) has my collection of greeting cards and reproduction prints for sale.  It also has the contact information for some of my larger works which are on exhibit in area galleries. 
 

No comments: