Thursday, September 5, 2013

Hornet's Nest - #4 in the 30 Day Challenge

Hornet's Nest, Acrylic on Gessoboard, 6"x6", $100
Yup, I'm now officially one day behind on the 30 day challenge.  I spent the last two days at the Bryan Gallery in Jeffersonville, VT helping install their new exhibits: Living Colors - a juried show of watercolors by living artist members (I have one piece in the show), and an update of the Legacy Collection - an ongoing exhibit of work by 20 member artists, including members of the New England Plein Air Artists.Today I was back in my studio for part of the day; tomorrow will be another partial day.

This painting is of a hornet's nest that I collected last fall.  I found it hanging from a low shrub so it was easy to reach (it is also only a couple of inches across).  I waited until a hard frost had killed off the occupants, then snipped the twig it was attached to.  Paper hornet's nests seem so incredibly delicate and are actually quite beautiful.  I was lucky to get this nest since most of them are destroyed by an animal or bird looking for the larvae within days of a hard frost.

Note: This painting is available for purchase on Daily Paintworks (icon for my gallery at right.)

No comments: