Saturday, January 10, 2015

Barn #10

Barn #10, Acrylic on Crescent Board, 10"x10", $100
Day ten of the 30 Day Challenge.  In this painting I used a technique that is more closely related to watercolor than my previous paintings.  I used fluid acrylics (from a squeeze bottle instead of a tube) which are less opaque than tube paints and that also spread and blend differently. I used Crescent Board that had been gessoed - the effect is of a coarse, not very absorbent watercolor paper (Crescent Board is watercolor paper that has been adhered to an archival core similar to mat board.)  I plan to return to this method - I think it could have real possibilities for adding abstract elements to a painting.

This barn belongs to a neighbor down the road. He has a bunch of barns and outbuildings of various vintages.  Since I took this photo, the small sawdust silo has been pulled down. It wasn't being used anymore and it was pretty decrepit.

To purchase this painting, please click here.  You will find yourself on the 30 Day Challenge page of my website.

1 comment:

Pattie Wall said...

Hi Anna - I love this painting, it just popped out at me as I perused the paintings on Leslie's site this morning. I didn't know about acrylics being different in the bottle than the tube, good to know. Also, the surface news was noted - thanks for sharing!