Saturday, January 18, 2014

Bamboo Abstraction

Bamboo Abstraction, Acrylic on Paper, 10"x9", NFS
Day 18 of the 30 in 30 Challenge.  Close observers will note that I skipped number 17 - I failed to post yesterday.  I may, however, recover by the end of the month - we'll see.

I'm still playing with the abstraction/palette knife thing.  Today, I started with a warm gold under painting and a red, brown, and green abstract pattern over it. Then, using a bunch of photos of bamboo for reference, I used a brush to draw a pattern of bamboo canes onto the abstract pattern.  Once dry, I went in with my painting knives to create the bamboo canes and the leaves. The last step was to paint out some more of the background because it was too assertive. To my eye, the leaves need more work - the idea is right, but the execution could be a bit better.  Still , overall, a fun piece.

This painting is not for sale, but I do have more paintings (as well as cards and prints) available on my website and on Daily Paintworks (icon at right).

No comments: