Sunday, January 5, 2014

Fire and Ice

Fire and Ice, Acrylic on Paper, 9"x10", $250
Abstract today.  I have been trying my hand at abstraction.  In this one, I started with a red-orange under-painting, and after it was dry, I used a palette knife to add the blues and grays allowing some skipping to show the red underneath.  Then I used a squeegee to lift patterns out of the top layer, exposing the reds and oranges.  The final step was to add more oranges and reds to some of the curved patterns to make them pop a bit more.  What a lot of fun.  The hardest parts are trusting my intuition on the composition and knowing when to stop. 

Day five of the 30 in 30 Challenge.  Even at this early stage, I am finding it challenging - I guess that's part of the point, isn't it?  Yesterday, I was prowling around the studio trying to figure out what to paint next, knowing the clock was ticking.  

To purchase, please go to the 30 in 30 Challenge page on my website.

No comments: