Thursday, January 16, 2014

Three Pears

Three Pears, Acrylic on Paper, 10"x9", NFS
Day 16 of the 30 in 30 Challenge.  I had so much fun with the painting I did yesterday that I decided to do another one.  This one has about 10 layers.

I started with a yellow under painting.  Then I put on an abstract patchwork of color. Then a drawing of the pears.  So far, so good.  I painted in the pears but they didn't pop.  So I started putting in the fire color below them, wiping out almost all of the abstract pattern underneath.  I decided I really liked that effect so I left it.  Then I started working on the area behind the pears. First I made it a mid-tone using the colors in the rest of the painting - no good.  So, I thought, " maybe lighter." I put in a warm buff color.  That was even worse.  Finally, I decided to try using the same dark that I used at the bottom of the page - much better.  The last step was putting some green back into the lower area to help bridge it to the pears.  I'm pretty happy with the result. 



1 comment:

Nancy Goldman said...

You should be very happy with the result. This painting really pops with your complimentary color scheme and your value contrast.