|Three Pears, Acrylic on Paper, 10"x9", NFS|
I started with a yellow under painting. Then I put on an abstract patchwork of color. Then a drawing of the pears. So far, so good. I painted in the pears but they didn't pop. So I started putting in the fire color below them, wiping out almost all of the abstract pattern underneath. I decided I really liked that effect so I left it. Then I started working on the area behind the pears. First I made it a mid-tone using the colors in the rest of the painting - no good. So, I thought, " maybe lighter." I put in a warm buff color. That was even worse. Finally, I decided to try using the same dark that I used at the bottom of the page - much better. The last step was putting some green back into the lower area to help bridge it to the pears. I'm pretty happy with the result.