|Seaweed, Acrylic on Gessoboard, 6"x6", NFS|
Today I was able to remind myself of why I switched to acrylic from watercolor - too fussy and too much time spent drying individual layers of paint. I started this painting with layers of really wet color that I allowed to run down the board. Once that was dry, and deciding that it looked like seaweed, I added stronger seaweedy shapes in blue, magenta, and purple, followed by black lines to create more seaweed shapes. Finally, I colored in some of the seaweed shapes with opaque color to make them emerge from the background pattern. Although a reasonable concept, I'm not all that happy with the final result - I got impatient and didn't think through the final colors and shapes for the top layer. Still, it's an interesting idea.