Friday, January 1, 2016

Day 1 - Across the Water

Across the Water, Acrylic on Gessoboard, 6"x6", SOLD
Day 1 of the January 2016 Thirty Paintings in Thirty Days Challenge 

Another January - another Thirty Paintings in Thirty Days Challenge! I thought I would start 2016 with 30 days of abstracts. I've been fussing around the edges of abstraction for a while and decided I should go all in and learn how to actually make a good abstract painting. I got a couple of books with exercises to help me learn the basics and I visited a bunch of websites to look at other artists' work to see what I like and try to figure out why I like it. After that, I think the rest involves doing - try things out, evaluate the results, then try more things. By making this the theme of my 30 Day Challenge, I know I will do at least that many exercises and experiments. I am starting small, but I may find that I need to go bigger in order to have room for expressive application of paint.

Today's painting is my first experiment. I started with a dark blue, mottled background and used a palette knife to add colors and shapes. When I got done, I thought it reminded me of boat masts or buildings or trees and water.

To Purchase: This painting has been sold, but I may have other paintings that you like. To go to my web site,  please click here.

No comments: